Thursday, September 10, 2009

FAMILY AND DEUTERONOMY


Well, how's that for a title? Anytime you can get Deuteronomy in a title I think it's pretty good, right? HA! Anyhow, I was reading from chapter 12 in Deut. and the first 4 verses made me think a bit.



1 These are the decrees and laws you must be careful to follow in the land that the LORD, the God of your fathers, has given you to possess—as long as you live in the land. 2 Destroy completely all the places on the high mountains and on the hills and under every spreading tree where the nations you are dispossessing worship their gods. 3 Break down their altars, smash their sacred stones and burn their Asherah poles in the fire; cut down the idols of their gods and wipe out their names from those places.


4 You must not worship the LORD your God in their way.



So, why on earth did you find this interesting you may be saying? It made me think, how is it in my life that I "smash down the sacred stones", and "cut down the idols" of the world. How do I "not worship ....God in their way." Good question. In terms of our family, one thing we do is talk about the Bible, usually in a devotional at dinner. We also are honest with our kids on certain topics that go contrary to what the masses may believe. We homeschool so that we can invite God into the education process. We serve at our church and pray that letting our kids see our value placed on serving God teaches them to do the same. Hmmm.....



So, what do you do? What are some other ideas. How can we make sure that we are worshipping the one true God in the way that he has created and maybe even influence our children and families to do the same?

Just a thought.

On a lighter note......this is a funny song about Deuteronomy:

http://www.jellybits.com/deuteronomy.html

2 comments:

LLJ said...

Hi Brooke,
My proactive friend : )
I love your blog. You are so good at posting! As to swimming - we hope to get a membership at the Y. It would be fun to meet and swim together!
Leanne

Brooke said...

Hey, Well, I will have to look into the Y as well. Let me know what you all decide.

Brooe